Aperture 4 Wish List

Aperture 3 just came out a few months ago, but it’s never too early to express what we want to see in Aperture 4. So email me (apertureland at gmail.com) or post a comment with your suggestions, and let’s let Apple know what Aperture needs!

1) Lens Distortion Correction

Yes, Aperture has a lot of advantages over Lightroom and Photoshop, but the ability to correct pincushion and other types of distortion is a necessity for those of us who use wide-angle and zoom lenses.

2) HDR Functionality

Aperture 4 does not need all the bells and whistles of specialized HDR software like HDRsoft’s incredible Photomatix applications. But come on – Aperture 3 should have some kind of basic HDR function to give people a taste of what it’s like to blend exposures together.

3) Better Facebook Integration

I like that Aperture 3 has Facebook integration built-in, but I’d like Apple to enhance it so I can spend less time doing things like tagging photos on the actual Facebook site. In other words, I want Aperture 4 to be able to do everything Facebook’s cumbersome photo management system can do, so I can manage all my Facebook photos without actually visiting Facebook. I want to be able to post albums and pics to other people’s walls, update old Facebook albums, etc.

4) Panoramic/Stitching Function

I’ve gotten a lot of emails on this one – Aperture should have a stitching function so users can construct panoramic images within Aperture.

5) Better Noise Reduction

Aperture 3’s noise reduction just doesn’t work all that well, so a plug-in like Nik’s Dfine is necessary if you really need to cut digital noise. Adobe’s Lightroom 3 is far superior in this regard.

6) Confirm Renaming of Folders/Projects/etc.

It annoys me to no end that it is so easy to accidentally rename folders and projects and stuff in Aperture 3. This is the only time I get screwed up in my image library. This is just another reason to  keyword every single image upon import.

7) Speed Up Slideshows

Every time I click on a slideshow in my library, my computer slows to a crawl. It’s actually far faster to export the relevant images to a folder, and do the slideshow in iMovie.

8) Film Grain Emulation

I am insanely happy with Nik’s Complete Collection when it comes to film-grain emulation, but I think Apple should just stick this functionality directly in Aperture. Would be cheaper and easier.

9) Output Sharpening for Web

I would love to see some type of sharpening function when exporting images at lower resolutions for the web.

10) $79 Pricing for Retail Boxed Version

Aperture 3 is only $79 if you download it from the Mac App store, but the retail boxed version is still a whopping $199. All for a disk, manual, and keywork guide?

Oh well, at least Amazon slaps a big discount on the boxed version of Aperture 3.

{ 24 comments… read them below or add one }

Chris Parker May 4, 2010 at 11:12 am

Nested keywords become unnested when importing a project or library:

I run Aperture 3 on my main desktop, a Mac Pro, where I store all my images. I also run it on a MacBook Pro which I use as a travelling editing suite with a limited library.

So I’m out and about, shoot a project, edit it on the MBP including adding keywords. When I get home I export the project from the MBP’s limited library and import it into the MP’s complete library. So far, so good.

However, what happens is that nested keywords become unnested and added to the keyword list in the MP’s library. For example, I might keyword an image with Europe > UK > London > Kensington. When that image is imported into the MP, I end up with a keyword list that looks like this:

Europe
> UK
>> London
>>> Kensington
UK
London
Kensington

Both machines are running Aperture 3. The only solution that I can see is not to keyword any images in a project which is going to be merged with another library. Do the keywording after the import.

Needs to be fixed, preferably before Aperture 4!

Stefan F May 6, 2010 at 7:58 pm

While the new IPTC fields added to Aperture 3 are long over due and great, it would be even better if they included fields that Photoshop and Photo Mechanic have, removing the need to use these 2 programs to add missing metadata.

anonymous June 4, 2010 at 11:17 pm

It would be also really handy if they introduced a photostitch technique that would allow you to easily make panoramas from multiple photos.

Eileen Clancy June 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm

It would be a great help if aperture 4 has the ability to save custom crop settings.

Rojer September 23, 2010 at 2:09 pm

The most important feature for me in the short term would be to duplcate two features from iTunes, show duplicates, and show only exact duplicate. I imported about half a dozen iPhoto libraries into a trial version of Aperture, made several significant changes on a good number of photos and then upgraded to the paid version. Unfortunatly, the iPhotos had some redundancy and now I have 3 – 4 sometimes 5 copies of the same photo. Needless to say, that bloats my Aperture Trial Library to the tune of nealy 259GB. I’d like a quick and easy way to pare that down.

The other items I would like to see are a way to anchor brushes to the unused space below a photo – in the apps window and be able to move the default locations of the overlayed icons in the bottom corners. I try to get some element in my picture, such as lines, to intersect the corners and it is difficult to see if the crop is dead-on or not.

OH- and one other feature, from iPhoto. When I start a crop – I would like to see a default crop in the center of the picture to resize, rather than having to start one from scratch. This should be an option, I think.

John November 25, 2010 at 11:57 am

More compatibility with Sony Alpha cameras for Tethered Photography. Especially for models like the A380, which has a P2P USB connection function.

rlev December 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm

gradients!!!

Simon December 19, 2010 at 6:44 am

Sharpen on export!

Katja December 21, 2010 at 1:48 am

Yes, lens correction like in Lightroom!
Default interface is ugly, make the complete software look like the full screen look.

Andreas January 16, 2011 at 1:49 am

Its very easy to select a few images, “edit with external editor” for example photomatix or photoshop, stich to a pano or make an hdr, then save it then its automatically created as new version in aperture.

Tyler January 18, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Better noise reduction (like Lightroom).

Canticleer January 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I’d like a real non-destructive integration of NIK plugins comparable with Nik Color Efex Pro integration in Nikon Capture NX2.
Furthermore I’d also welcome output sharpening.

James January 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Maybe an easy way to use textured overlays.

Christian Capitanio March 23, 2011 at 11:15 am

IMHO noise reduction works better in Aperture than in Lightroom, but maybe it depends on the sensor. Anyhow, any improvement in this area is always welcome.
I agree about 1 – Lens Distortion Correction and 4 – Panoramic/stitching functions, plus:
– an output sharpening function (so including 9)
– a true chromatic aberration function
– smarter retouching tools (Photoshop rules at the moment)
– speed, speed, speed
– speed: is it clear that I’d like a faster Aperture?

Dan April 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm

1. Camera Profiles. This is so important to me. Colour, colour, colour!
2. Perspective correction
3. Better raw conversion… Fits with camera profiles for accurate colour management.
4. Better metadata. Containing industry standard fields, as photoshop…
5. Better noise reduction.
6. Better sharpening…
7. Layer based editing… ( not just multiple brushes, create a layer and apply multiple adjusments)
8. Better copy and paste tool, allowing to select specific adjustments
9. On the up site…. It’s very good at organising images….
10. Finally, make it play nicely with the compition, let’s have better dng support, specified colour management in an industry recognised space, and as mentioned, metadata support.
Then I’d be happy with aperture….

Michael April 12, 2011 at 2:57 am

First thing first, the need to fix the IPTC bug that encodes non-ASCII characters incorrectly, so that when you load your pictures into a web service your captions display correctly. For a pro app this is unforgivable, I need to pass my photo’s through Photo Mechanic before uploading them to my agency in order to make sure my captions don’t get scrambled.

Then I’d like to see the speed of the app be worked on, and in every area. I feel that importing pictures could be faster, especially if you compare it to the speed of Photo Mechanic. Then in other areas like editing and viewing I think speed and stability should be worked on.

Editing wise I’m pretty content, but there are a lot of good ideas being kicked around here. Lens distortion correction, better noise reduction, and so on.

One thing the poster above me mentioned is layer based editing. Seems strange to me because that’s more or less present. You can add multiple adjustments of more or less anything, and you can brush those in or out. Essentially a layered workflow.

There’s a bug with hierarchal keywords, which makes them more or less useless. That should be fixed.

Then on export, I think a built in FTP would be nice.

Tom April 21, 2011 at 9:54 am

Yes, I agree the top of the list is automatic lens distortion correction. Quite hard to believe that it’s not there already. We also need to be able to adjust perspective.

steveo May 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm

In full screen mode, when cropping or brushing, stop the film strip from popping into view when the cursor gets close to the edge where the film strip is. A nuisance.

James June 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Lens distortion auto correction is the top of the list for me. I really don’t understand why it is not already available.

Justin July 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm

how about the ability to add and brush in extra exposure set or at least a graduated filter FTW!!!

Kay Fisher August 8, 2011 at 4:32 pm

iPhoto output capability.
I need to update my wife’s iPhoto Library regularily.
I have many many hours invested in “Face” definition.
Currently I hace to use “iPhoto Library Manager” software to do this from iPhoto to iPhoto. Before you suggest “iPhoto Sharing” – It does not preserve faces!
So I can’t switch from iPhoto to Aperture until I have a way to export albums or events to iPhoto AND preserve Faces & Places.
If anybody knows a way please send me email KayPatFisher@gmail.com

Ian August 11, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I’d love an iPad version of Aperture (Lite?) so I could review my pics after import, delete, rotate, crop, adjust and all this would be synced back to my library.

Eleni August 12, 2011 at 5:53 am

More controls on Slideshow export. Maybe direct export to iDVD or DVD Studio Pro.
Aperture is useless at the moment for making dvd. But the showreels you can make on the software are truly the best!
Is apple going to resolve this or they assume we all use appleTVs now?

pharmacy technician October 11, 2011 at 1:06 am

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it