(the first film image I’ve shot in years)
I had the film processed and scanned at a local photo lab, and then imported the scans (which are in JPEG format) into one of my Aperture 3 projects.
So as it turns out, Aperture 3 handles scanned film photographs just fine. There’s no metadata other than that of the scanner, so I added keywords relevant to the shot on import. You are keywording all your images on import, aren’t you?
Here are the gear-related keywords that I added to the above image:
2.8, 80mm, 80mm 2.8, 400nc, 645, 645 pro, film, kodak, kodak portra, kodak portra 400nc, mamiya, mamiya 80mm 2.8, mamiya 645, mamiya 645 pro, portra, portra 400nc, pretty sunset, shot on film
Aside from the usual stuff (location, subject matter, etc.), I made sure to add any information I may look for in the future if I’m curious about how a particular shot was made. So I stuck in stuff like film type (Portra 400NC) and lens (80mm 2.8).
The actual exposure information isn’t really relevant – the lighting on a landscape is never really the same twice, and whether this was shot at 1/60s or 1/125s is something I won’t ever worry about.
And of course, you can use all of Aperture’s editing capabilities and plug-ins to further enhance your images.
So far, I’m loving being back to shooting film, a topic I’ll be discussing more in the future.