Still No Aperture for iPad!

by Mike on March 2, 2011

Today, Apple announced iPad 2, successor to the company’s groundbreaking tablet computer.

I hoped Apple cutting the price of Aperture 3 down to $79 was a sign that the company was mounting a full-on assault on the more-expensive Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.

However, the fight apparently won’t include an iPad version of Aperture 3, at least not yet.

Too bad – an iPad version of Aperture 3 might have pushed me over the edge to go for iPad 2.

P.S. If you’re an iPad user and want to use it in your Aperture workflow, check out the PixelSync app, which allows iPad users to import, rate, and color-label images from your Aperture library.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Martin March 3, 2011 at 3:50 am

Hi Mike,

I don’t think Aperture would make sense on the iPad. How would your workflow look like? Synching RAW images to your iPad to edit them there? Let’s assume one RAW image is 20MB, it will be quite some waiting until a bunch of photos is synched. No matter if it’s done via cable or wireless.
Or copy them directly from the camera to the iPad? You will run into storage problems very soon.

Then: editing. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to edit images on a glossy, 10 inch screen.

Aperture is Apple’s professional RAW imaging tool, and as such I think it will not be ported to the iPad.

Junior March 3, 2011 at 9:52 am

I agree. I was really looking forward to an Aperture for the iPad 2. They added iMovie, so I know they can make an Aperture for it. I would’nt expect a full-feature version, but one with basic RAW editing capabilities.

Aleks March 5, 2011 at 12:09 am

I agree with Junior.. basic RAW editing capabilities ont he iPad would be great. It would definitely make buying one an easier decision.

jF March 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I think an Aperture Assistant would be more appropriate. The ability to do a tethered or wireless shoot with an iPad would be great. The ability to sort photos on a lightbox and rate/keyword them as I go would be huge in the field. The ability to sync with vaults and backups as well. So much work could be done before the heavy lifting of editing on the Mac.

Now, if this Assistant could be used as an editing pad when synced with Aperture on the Mac for a more intuitive hands on way of editing sans the keyboard.. that would be amazing.. but probably very far off.

So, an Aperture Assistant would be a big hit and add value to the Aperture platform by extending, not replacing it’s function to the iPad.

Bart March 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I agree with Mike. Aperture would only make sense on the iPad if its functionality was limited to a number of features for which the iPad is ideal, for example, sorting through images after a photo shoot.

This is exactly the reason that I have been working on a solution myself. My solution is Pixelsync and allows photographers to import photos from Aperture or iPhoto to their iPad. On your iPad, you can rate and color label your photos. Afterwards, you can sync there ratings back to Aperture and iPhoto. All this happens wirelessly. For those of you interested, you can find more information on http://www.pixelsyncapp.com.

@Mike: I hope you don’t mind me plugging Pixelsync here, but I think it might be good to know that a solution is available to photographers.

Junior March 7, 2011 at 10:28 am

I think jF has a great idea. I wasn’t thinking of the complete aperture on iPad. That’s not realistic, but it would be nice to have something like iPhoto or something in between. Perhaps not geared towared the prosumer (in-between) photographer.

What I would LOVE to see on the iPad also is tethering capabilities. I know that OnOne has a software, but it still needs the computer in between the iPad and camera. To me that defeats the purpouse. I also know that some people use the Eye-Fi setup to achieve this result, but I would prefer an app that allows you to connect the cable directly to the iPad and have immediate feedback on your images (better than small lcd on back of my Canon 1D).

I’ve heard that OnOne is considering making something like this, but it doesn’t seem like more than speculations and rumors…

Junior March 7, 2011 at 10:30 am

Oops, ** “Perhaps not geared towared the prosumer (in-between) photographer”, I meant “Perhaps geared towared” and not “NOT geared towards”.

Bart March 14, 2011 at 8:46 am

@Junior: Tethering capabilities aren’t that easy to implement by developers. The reason is that Apple does not provide any access to the Camera Connection Kit. In other words, a developer would have to build an iPad accessory (which is very expensive and has to go through Apple’s approval process) to make this work. I think that is the reason that some developers have chosen to support Eye-Fi since this makes use of an ad hoc Wi-Fi network. I understand Apple’s decision to keep the CCK closed, but it really makes a lot of cool things very difficult to accomplish. If the CCK were open, I’d provide tethering capabilities in the very next version of Pixelsync.

Designer March 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Is there an app that works on the ipad (1 or2) to be able to label photos when you need to download on the go that will keep the meta data when transfering photoss on ipad to ilife ’11 ??? ilife 11′ is too large of an appl for the ipad but when travelling it would be great get data on photos as you go (memory isn’t what it use to be)

Doogie April 21, 2011 at 11:31 am

As a photographer, I would love to see a “lite” version of aperture for basic management of my images. I would want to be able to take the images imported to the iPad via the camera connection kit (a CF option would be nice after they reduced the port power to not support card readers) and organize (into projects), rate, keyword, and note the images. The iPad could then add these files to the aperture library on my MacBook Pro when I sync it, ready for color corrections and further processing. I don’t need or want full editing capabilities on the iPad, but a nice backup option that lets me start my workflow would be nice.

Aki April 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Doogie & All,

I agree with you. I just got the iPad 2 and now flummoxed as to how I use or don’t use it with Aperture! Since iPad 2 isn’t supporting Aperture, when I bring up images in Photos, it appears to show my Aperture Albums only, but not the original slide shows that I have w/ music which would be nice to have. I bought the iPad Camera Connection Kit but unclear how that would import shots into the iPad, i.e., I assume I need to reimport into my MacBook Pro which then becomes redundant. The Pixelsync option seems to make sense. I usually relocate masters onto external HD but need to have all my shots accessible on both MBP and iPad if possible without making albums. I would welcome and appreciate any input any of you have. I plan on going into One-to-One and will share anything tips I learn as well. Thank you all. Aki